Rechercher dans ce blog

Thursday, May 13, 2021

Finding Freedom through Entrepreneurship: Startup Founder Shares Story - BioSpace

stratupnation.blogspot.com

Lightbulb Idea

Have you ever thought seriously about entrepreneurship? While large organizations appear to dominate the life sciences industry, startups and small businesses have started to compete in the marketplace.

We recently interviewed Jody Logan, Founder of Blue Ocean Laboratory Services and Marion Medical.  He discussed how his background with a large organization helped him prepare for starting his own businesses. Jodi shares how trust and relationship building have been the foundation between him and his clients, in addition to his best advice for life science professionals who eventually want to start a business. 

  1. Can you tell us a little bit about your background, before becoming an entrepreneur?

I was always the kid in the neighborhood dragging a lawn mower and working a ton as a young kid in my hometown of Augusta, GA. Cash pay was fantastic, and we didn't have many resources at my house. So, the independence and visual satisfaction of a well-manicured lawn was enough to drum up plenty of customers. After all, The Masters golf tournament came once a year, and inspired me to make our humble house as visually appealing as possible.  The summers were brutally hot, and my mother owned a salon in our home. I always wanted to make her proud, so I kept the place tidy for her daily customers.  This is where it started. The entrepreneurial spirit came early. I've always had it.

  1. How did you decide what you wanted to do as you moved into the second phase of your career?

I worked for the same corporation in the medical space for 22 years (GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals). I never changed companies, but the company name changed three times due to mergers/acquisitions etc. I stayed in the same geography for all 22 years. So, I knew plenty of my medical clients very well. I met many of them when they were newly married and just starting their families. Conversely, they were onlookers as I got married and started my family. We've been together quite a while. We've seen a lot together, good and bad. My second phase was a simple thought process. Do this medical "thing" on my own, independently.  Find products, processes and systems that can serve my clients in a way that helps their patients first, and simultaneously, helped my clients, without the limited conversations that were required of me previously. It's worked out well. 

  1. Why did you decide to stay in the life sciences industry?

It was natural. I knew my clients extremely well, they knew me, so there was inherent trust. Without trust, there's nothing.  

  1. Have you noticed any new trends or changes that you think will last after the pandemic is over?

Offices will never be the same. There are people "eager" for their offices to re-open because they have been at home working with their spouse, kids (their kids’ friends), dogs, cats, Amazon, UPS and FedEx delivery drivers at their doors daily for a year. People that need some "quiet time" to work are yearning to get back to their offices. However, for those that have learned how to navigate working remotely (and that is a ton of us), it won't make any sense to "go back" to an office setting five days a week. I think a hybrid of in office work and home office work will be the new norm.  We do benefit from being around each other. It's important.  It's also a HUGE distraction to work actually getting done. The mix is a must. I think that's our new "normal."

  1. What advice would you give to a life sciences professional who wants to eventually start their own business?

Know this, it's never easy...ever.  You are going to fail, many times in many ways. Keep finding the new ways to fail. That means you're growing.  Hug the Hard.  It will eventually become your best friend. Get started. What for? Freedom mentally, it's worth it all. 

Porschia Parker-Griffin is a Certified Coach, Professional Resume Writer, and Founder of Fly High Coaching. (https://ift.tt/2XXvtc2) She empowers ambitious professionals and motivated executives to add $10K on average to their salaries.

Jody Logan is the owner of Blue Ocean Laboratory Services LLC located in Fayetteville, Georgia. The lab is currently offering same day turnaround results for PCR COVID 19 testing options. Jody also is successfully guiding physician groups and hospitals with CLIA approved RT-PCR molecular lab installation, to improve speed for patient care and offer stability in the marketplace.

Adblock test (Why?)



"Startup" - Google News
May 13, 2021 at 09:48PM
https://ift.tt/3uOn6wE

Finding Freedom through Entrepreneurship: Startup Founder Shares Story - BioSpace
"Startup" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2MXTQ2S
https://ift.tt/2z7gkKJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Featured Post

Benjamina Ebuehi’s recipe for earl grey cardamom buns - The Guardian

stratupnation.blogspot.com W ho can resist a good cardamom bun? I’ll always choose cardamom over cinnamon – it just feels much brighter an...

Postingan Populer